Sandia National Laboratories Z Applications Solutions Developer (Early/Mid-Career) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking an experienced software engineer to aid in the research, design, development and maintenance of software solutions for use at the Z Machine facility. The primary focus will be the development of web-based solutions to improve the efficiency of Z operations, provide better configuration management of the machine, and enable safe and reliable experiment execution.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Craft new application solutions, maintain and improve existing solutions, and help improve our software development process
- Design and integrate core reusable software components and frameworks for use among the software team
- Develop Web Services and other Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) for consumption by external teams
- Interact with teams of scientists, engineers, and technologists across a wide range of disciplines throughout the Z facility community to design, develop, execute, and evaluate new processes and solutions through basic and applied research
- Bachelor’s and Master’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Management of Information Systems, or other relevant discipline, plus a minimum of two of relevant experience
- Fluency in SQL Server CRUD operations
- Experience using git or another source control solution
- Experience using Kendo UI or similar development products
- Familiarity with Microsoft Entity Framework or other Object Relational Mappers
- Experience working in a layered architecture with separation of concerns
- Experience deploying messaging infrastructure (e.g., ZeroMQ) in distributed environments
- Experience deploying and supporting software tools in complex operational environments
Department 01671, Z Mission Assurance, Execution, and Analytics, is a diverse, interdisciplinary team dedicated to ensuring the operational readiness, agile & adaptive execution, and system-level analysis for High Energy Density Physics (HEDP) campaigns at Sandia National Laboratories’ Z Machine.
By applying systems engineering approaches and creating advanced software solutions, Department 01671 collaborates across Center 01600 to realize and analyze concepts of operation at the complex multi-stakeholder Z facility, create and steward novel methods for workflow management & inter-team coordination, and develop and deliver local capability enhancements. Additionally, the team ensures that Z’s final insulator and transmission line components are prepared to reliably stand-off millions of Volts and deliver tens of millions of Amperes to complex experiment-specific configurations that they’ve prepared in the machine. Dedicated Z facility-specific quality management, ES&H, and logistics resources work together to provide essential mission support for the entire Z facility and its many dynamic mission needs.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT