Sandia National Laboratories Solutions Architect-Infrastructure Software (Early/Mid-Career) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking a Solutions Architect to design and implement software and its associated platform infrastructure for a large, distributed, embedded control system. This team is responsible for the entire software effort, from the embedded software to the user-experience software. The objective is to realize a robust, reliable software subsystem that meets performance, schedule and cost goals.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Develop low-level software interfaces and controllers for embedded firmware and hardware
- Implement hierarchical state machines in a network-centric distributed publish/subscribe framework
- Participate on a highly motivated and effective multidisciplinary development team to achieve the overall project goals
- Troubleshoot undesirable and incorrect interactions between software, firmware, and hardware
- Develop scripts, tools, and graphical user-interfaces for the end-user control of the system
- Engage with stakeholders and colleagues to develop vision and technical solutions to difficult and sometimes ambiguous requirements and/or objectives.
- Manage and deploy embedded Linux distributions, including open-source drivers for COTS components
- Participate in planning meetings, stand-ups, sprint and iteration demos and retrospectives
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or relevant discipline
- Embedded C/C++ experience
- Experience with object-oriented software development (e.g., Java/EE, C++, Python)
- Experience with Unix/Linux operating environments
- Experience in embedded systems programming
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance
- Active DOE L-level or Q-level clearance, or DOD Secret or Top-Secret clearance
- Familiarity and comfort working in a relatively standard Linux development environment - i.e. shell, makefiles, gcc/llvm, gdb, etc.
- Familiarity with software build systems and tools
- Experience/interest in low level cross-compilation toolchain usage – linker scripts, assembly code, C library implementations, etc.
- Experience in low-level device driver development and interfacing with hardware;
- Extensive Linux knowledge
- Any electrical/digital hardware knowledge is a bonus – aids in helping the hardware team with hardware/software interactions and debugging
- Any additional experience in various languages a plus – Python, Perl, shell scripts, Tcl, Assembly (esp. MIPS), etc.
- Experience with software quality tools and processes such as linters, code documentation tools, static analyzers, dynamic analyzers, continuous integration tools, unit testing, etc
- Experience with Matlab
- Experience using electronics labs tools
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated experience with teaming for results
- Critical thinking, synthesis and problem-solving; ability to deal with ambiguity and adapt to a fast-paced, customer-focused operation, teaming, and self-starting
- Experience with networking (specifically integrating layer 2 and layer 3 devices, sometimes with VLANs)
- Experience working with custom hardware, integrating with custom and COTS peripherals, and using multiple communication protocols (SPI, I2C, USB, Ethernet, etc.)
- Willingness to work in a team-based development effort including tight integration with a hardware team
- Willingness to work in a prototyping environment – able to work with sometimes sparsely documented hardware, software, or interfaces and changing requirements
- Ability to communicate well within small and large teams
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team
Organization 5327, The Trusted & Secure Systems department focuses on the development of secure and aware command, control, and communications functions for terrestrial, airborne, and space based systems that are critical for national security applications. Representative system components include those necessary for protection of high value assets, various point-to-point, static and dynamic C2 architectures, and situational analyses requiring compact operating systems and processing. The development and integration of resilience, confidentiality, integrity, and availability is necessary for high reliability systems critical for national security missions.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT