Sandia National Laboratories Software Engineer Java/C++ (Experienced) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
The Systems Mission Engineering Center (Org. 6300) is looking for candidates with strong software design and development skills to join highly productive teams that research and develop innovative solutions to a broad spectrum of problems of national importance. You will enjoy collaborating in an innovating environment to architect, design, develop, test, and deploy advanced data processing software for complex, real-time decision support systems.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Work on an Agile team to develop software systems which solve the most challenging remote sensing problems, including the capture, processing, exploitation, visualization and distribution of real-time satellite sensor data.
- Work collaboratively with architects, developers, technical leads, customers, and end users to collect requirements, design solutions, and deliver extensible software applications.
- Contribute to deeply rewarding missions through engagement with diverse computer science specialties and specialists in areas such as data fusion, signal and image processing, data mining, cloud computing, machine learning, modeling and simulation, service-oriented architectures, big data management and visualization, and pattern recognition.
Candidates applying on this requisition may be interviewed and hired into one of several departments within our center.
- Requires a Bachelor’s and Master’s degree in relevant STEM discipline plus two or more years experience; or Bachelor's and Doctorate in relevant STEM discipline. The requirement for a STEM Master’s degree can be waived for candidates with a bachelor’s in a relevant STEM discipline and achievements that demonstrate the knowledge, skills and ability to perform independent research and development.
- Experience in software design, engineering and development skills, including familiarity with modern software development practices and tools.
- Experience with object-oriented software development (e.g., C++, Java and Python).
- Knowledge and experience with implementation of the full software development life cycle using Agile or Iterative methodologies.
- Experience using a subset of the following: system engineering, hardware and software architecture, distributed system design, data exploitation/mining/fusion algorithms, digital signal processing, image processing, optical systems, command and control systems, numerical analysis, modeling and simulation, relational/object/geographic database technologies, user interfaces, scientific data visualization, web services technologies, and multi-core/GPU/parallel computing.
- Proficiency in a subset of the following: requirements capture, software modeling using UML, systems-level software testing, high consequence anomaly resolution, documentation and training, information assurance, and deployment of delivered systems.
- Experience with Docker containers, Jenkins continuous integration, and continuous delivery approaches to software development and deployment in cloud-based environments
- Demonstrated ability to develop and present ideas and results in oral and written form.
- Critical thinking, synthesis and problem-solving; ability to deal with ambiguity and adapt to a fast-paced, customer-focused operation; teaming; self-starting
- Ability to obtain and maintain a SCI clearance, which may require a polygraph test.
- GPA of 3.4 or higher for all degrees.
Our team is responsible for the design and development of advanced mission data processing systems and analytical applications that enable some of our nation's most compelling nonproliferation and national security missions. Our team’s mission is to design, engineer, build, deploy and enhance essential systems that transform data into decisions. Our systems are targeted for a range of applications and complexity including: remote and in-situ sensing systems; satellite communications and control; distributed computing and analysis; real-time data collection, processing, exploitation and dissemination; and mission engineering and analysis.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT