Sandia National Laboratories Intern - Photovoltaics & Materials Technology Technical Undergrad Summer in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking an Intern Summer - Technical Undergrad
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Assist with the syntheses of new organic, inorganic and/or inorganic molecules/materials
- Assis with the purification and characterization of these materials by a variety of analytical techniques
- Perform documentation of all preparations using approved record keeping methods (i.e. SNL Lab Notebook)
- Assist in lab setup, general lab maintenance, inventory, dishes, cleaning, ordering etc. as needed
- Perform comply with all required training as directed by SNL
- Present/Report results as required
You bring the confidence and skills to be eligible for the job by meeting these minimum requirements:
- Currently attending and enrolled full time (or scheduled to graduate in the spring) in an accredited undergraduate program
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0/4.0
- Ability to work up to 40 hours per week during the summer
- U.S. citizenship
Note: If you have not yet started your undergraduate program, please apply to a high school intern position.
- Experience using Microsoft Excel
- Interest in Chemistry, Materials Science, Chemical Engineering or related area
The Photovoltaics & Materials Tech Department, part of Sandia's Renewable Energy Technologies Group, conducts research and development and applies real world solutions to increase the viability of sustainable and clean energy systems. Research focuses on solar energy photovoltaics (PV), materials chemistry, and device integration for energy generation, energy efficiency, and carbon management. We apply PV and materials research to the following areas: PV cell technologies including Si, CdTe and CIGS thin films, and emerging technologies (i.e., perovskites), advanced PV module designs (i.e., bifacial, split cells conformable), concentrating solar power, hydrogen production, and batteries for grid and device storage. We work in partnership throughout Sandia and with industry, academia, and other national labs in research for the Department of Energy, Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Office: Solar Energy Technology Office, Office of Electricity, the Department of Defense; and Sandia's Laboratory Directed Research and Development program.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
This position does not currently require a Department of Energy (DOE)-granted security clearance.
Sandia will conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record checks, and employment and education verifications. Further, employees in New Mexico must pass a U.S. Air Force background screen for access to the work site. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause access to be denied or terminated, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
If hired without a clearance, and one subsequently becomes required or you bid on positions that require a DOE-granted security clearance, a pre-processing background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications may be conducted prior to a required federal background investigation. Applicants for DOE-granted security clearances must be U.S. citizens and be able to obtain and maintain the appropriate DOE security clearance as required for the position.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT