Sandia National Laboratories Intern - Advanced Concepts R&D Undergrad Summer in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking a Mechanical Engineering student to help with laboratory day to day support activities for an upcoming flight test program. The qualified student will perform some basic design, engineering studies, testing, and report writing.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Design simple test fixtures
- Complete part inspection and documentation
- Assist with subsystem assembly and test
You bring the confidence and skills to be eligible for the job by meeting these minimum requirements:
- Currently attending and enrolled full time (or scheduled to graduate in the spring) in an accredited undergraduate program
- Pursuing a science, engineering, or math major
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0/4.0
- Ability to work up to 40 hours per week during the summer
- U.S. citizenship
- Currently pursuing an Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering major
Note: If you have not yet started your undergraduate program, please apply to a high school intern position.
- Experience with mechanical design software, such as SOLIDWORKS or ProE
- Experience performing solid mechanics analysis
The Integrated Military Systems Development Center (IMSDC) at Sandia National Laboratories develops and demonstrates game-changing systems and technologies to solve warfighters most challenging, urgent, and high-risk problems defending the nation and defeating threats to national security. The Missile and Air Defense Line of Business, within the IMSDC, strives to demonstrate advanced technologies, deliver responsive technical solutions in anticipation of Missile Defense mission needs, and facilitate the integration and sustainment of operational capability across the Missile Defense mission. Department 5418, within the Missile and Air Defense Group supports the missions of the IMSDC with innovative concept development and revolutionary technology demonstrations supporting Sandia's contributions to the Missile Defense Program for our Nation and allies. This includes engagement through advanced technology development to support innovative interceptor concepts, integrated target system development, space mission integration, and mod/sim in support of architecture and mission analysis. This is performed through active interfacing with multiple Sandia organizations and external agencies to include the Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD), the Missile Defense Agency (MDA), and partnerships with the Army, Navy, Air Force and other DoD Laboratories.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE)-granted L-level security clearance to start.
Position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) granted L-level security clearance or active clearance with another US government agency, e.g., DOD, to be considered for this position.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE L-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT