TRC Companies Biological Technician in Albuquerque, New Mexico
Part-time On-Call Field Biological Technician - Albuquerque, NM
The primary responsibility of this position is to conduct biological surveys (birds, mammals, herps, plants, etc.), collect data and contribute to reports. The technician may be required to perform other field tasks as needed (including mapping ground cover conditions using a GPS unit). Technicians must be able to communicate and coordinate effectively with other biologists, GIS analysts and TRC project managers and should be proficient in following protocols, adhering to schedules, and collecting accurate observational data.
The successful candidate must be willing and able to spend a majority of the day outdoors, alone or in a team, collecting and managing data with great attention to detail. Applicants must possess the scientific background to be able to accurately report the results of field studies. Job duties require use of a tablet, a laptop computer, and GPS devices. Training will be provided for all survey efforts and job-related activities. Technicians will be expected to use good judgment to stay safe at all times and to follow a TRC Project-Specific Health and Safety Plan. Technicians must be licensed to drive. Technicians must be able to walk for extended periods outside and in diverse weather and ground-cover conditions.
Vehicles will be provided. A tablet, GPS unit, field vest, and hardhat will be provided by TRC. Technician is expected to provide their own suitable and appropriate outdoor clothing.
Start Date and Duration (approximate): As needed, on call position. Project work will vary.
Workload: Project work may entail approximately 8-10 hours per day of solo or team surveys, sometimes in inclement weather with additional, albeit minimal, time at night for equipment maintenance. Work weeks vary by project and overtime (time and a half) will be paid for hours over 40 per week.
- Bachelor's degree in natural resources, wildlife management, wildlife biology, or equivalent degree preferred; however, undergraduates and enthusiastic workers are encouraged to apply.
- Must have a valid driver's license.
- Must be able to maintain equipment and perform accurate timely (i.e. daily) data entry and provide fieldwork updates.
- Ability to follow protocol is essential.
- Good plant and/or animal identification skills for species in the region, and use of guides and keys for identification are preferred.
- Job requires the technician to be able to appear for work every day and on time.
- Follow instructions from project managers and field supervisors.
- Interact effectively with coworkers and clients; maintain a positive attitude.
- Accept guidance and constructive criticism.
- Precise and thorough data collection is essential.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Albuquerque, NM - ALB2